If you want to save a particular location on your device or share it with others, all you need to do is drop a pin. Many navigation, discovery, and exploration tools offer this convenient feature, and the two most popular are Google Maps and Apple Maps.
Here, we’ll show you how to drop a pin in Apple Maps and Google Maps using your computer or a mobile device.
How Do I Drop a Pin in Google Maps?
Google Maps is one of the most popular Google products. It offers street maps, aerial photography, satellite imagery, panoramic street view image, route planning, traffic conditions, etc.
You can use Google Maps to save your frequently visited or favorite locations. Since the steps vary depending on the platform you’re using, we’ll explain them separately.
How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps on Your Computer
Follow the steps below to place a pin in a Google map using your computer:
- Open your browser and ensure you’re logged in to your Google account.
- Visit the Google Maps website.
- Find the exact location you want to pin and select it. You can use the left click on your mouse or touchpad to navigate the map or type the address in the search bar. Use the zoom option to find the location with ease.
The following steps vary depending on whether the desired location is saved to Google Maps.
If it is, here’s what to do:
- Locate the “Save” option on the left. It’s right next to “Directions.”
- Choose where you want to add the location. You have several lists available, including Favorites, Want to go, Travel plans, and Starred places. If you want, you can also create a new list and customize the name.
If the selected location isn’t saved to Google Maps, here’s what to do:
- Click on the pop-up that appears at the bottom.
- Choose “Save” in the menu on the left.
- Select the desired list or create a new one.
You can share the dropped pin with others by pressing the “Share” icon on the left. Then, choose where to share it. For example, if you want to share your location on Twitter, select the Twitter icon.
You can also explore nearby places or send the pinned location to your phone.
How to Drop a Pin in Google Maps on an iOS or Android Device
If you’re using the Google Maps app on your phone, you’ll be happy to know dropping a pin is quick and easy. The process looks the same for iOS and Android devices. Follow the instructions below to do it:
- Open the Google Maps app on your device.
- Find the location where you want to place a pin. You can drag your fingers to move around the map or enter the exact location in the search bar.
- Once you find the location, tap the “Save” icon at the bottom.
- Under “Save to list,” choose where you’d like to save your location. You can also create a new list.
How to Drop Multiple Pins in Google Maps
Google Maps lets you see one pinned location per map. What happens if you want to view several pinned locations? Fortunately, Google Maps offers an option to create your own map.
When you create your Google map, you can see how the pinned locations relate to each other. This can be helpful if you’re trying to make a route plan or see how far apart your favorite locations are.
Here are the steps for creating your own map and dropping multiple pins:
- Launch your browser and go to the Google Maps website. Ensure you’re logged in.
- Select the menu icon at the upper-left corner. It’s the icon with three lines.
- Choose “Your places.”
- Go to the “Maps” tab and click on “Create map” at the bottom.
- A new window will open. Choose “Untitled map” in the menu on the left and give your map a proper name and a description.
- Customize your map by adding layers, directions, and connecting pins.
- Save your map.
How Do I Drop a Pin in Apple Maps?
Mac and iOS users can drop a pin in Apple Maps, Apple’s web-mapping service. This handy feature is installed on every iPhone and iPad by default. It’s easy to use and can make map navigation much simpler.
How to Drop a Pin in Apple Maps on Mac Devices
Many people prefer using Apple Maps on their Mac because of the bigger screen. That way, they can see more details about a specific location. Dropped pins can make finding directions and sharing a location with family and friends much quicker.
Follow the steps below to place a pin in Apple Maps using your Mac device:
- Launch the Maps app.
- Find the precise location by using the search bar or moving the map around.
- Control-click the exact spot and choose “Drop Pin.”
- If you want, you can tap the “Add to Favorites” option if you want to add the pinned location to your favorite spots.
Keep in mind that the app allows you to have only one dropped pin at a time. If you made a mistake, you can remove the pin and then add it again. Here’s how to remove a dropped pin:
- Find the dropped pin.
- Choose “Edit” and select “Remove Pin.” You can also control-click the pin and then go to “Remove Pin.”
Of course, you can always move the pin manually. Long press the pin and tap “Move.” You’ll then see a close-up map where you can reposition the pin.
How to Drop a Pin in Apple Maps on iOS Devices
Using Apple Maps on your iOS devices like an iPhone or iPad can be convenient, especially if you’re on the go. With Apple Maps, you can save your destination and coordinates, send a location link to your family and friends, and use many more options. The app is intuitive and easy to navigate, even for those who aren’t tech-savvy.
Follow these steps to place a pin in Apple Maps on your iOS device:
- Open the Apple Maps app.
- Find the location where you want to drop the pin. Tap and hold the spot until a red pin icon appears. Along with the pin, you’ll see an information panel that displays exact coordinates and how far away the pin is from your current location. If you want to navigate there, press the blue button in the upper left corner.
If you press the three dots in the information panel, you can explore more options. For example, you can share your dropped pin with others via a message, airdrop, email, etc., or save the pinned location to a contact.
Sharing the pin with others means they’ll receive a link with the location. If the recipient also uses an iPhone or another iOS device, their Apple Maps will open as soon as they click on the link.
Win at Dropping the Pin
These days, it’s hard to imagine traveling without a navigation app. Such apps help us stay organized and save important locations. While you can find dozens of navigation apps, Google Maps and Apple Maps stand out as the most popular.
Both apps offer incredible features, including dropping pins, entering details about a specific or general location, sharing maps with others, and more.
Whichever app you’re using, you can drop a pin in a matter of seconds.