If you want to distance yourself from social media platforms and focus more on your private life, then you probably wonder how to deactivate Instagram account temporarily.
To help you out with it, we decided to share all the options for temporary Instagram profile deactivation on an iPhone, Android app, and computer. We will also share the way you can delete it permanently.
In continuation, we will explain and illustrate the process of temporary deactivation and permanent Instagram profile deletion.
Let’s get started!
How to Deactivate Instagram Account Temporarily
Are you tired of scrolling through pictures and chatting online? Keep in mind that you do not have to delete your Instagram account permanently. Deactivate your account and reactivate it when you want. Follow the instructions below to deactivate your profile.
- Press on “Profile” on the left side of the screen.
- Select “Edit profile.”
- Now, press “Temporarily deactivate my profile” at the bottom right of the page.
- Pick a reason.
- Enter your password again.
- Click “Temporarily deactivate my profile” to confirm.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account Permanently
The deletion process differs based on whether you use iPhone, Android, or the website.
Delete your Instagram account on your iPhone
- Touch your “Profile” icon on the bottom right and press the “Menu” icon on the top right.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Tap “Account.”
- Select “Delete account.”
- Confirm once again by pressing the “Delete account.”
- Press “Continue deleting account.”
Delete your Instagram account on Android and a web browser
Instagram does not have the option to delete your account on its Android and web versions. However, if you want to delete your account, you must open the Instagram account deletion page on your PC or mobile web browser.
Follow the step-by-step guide to learn how to do so.
- Log in to your profile.
- Select a reason why you want to delete your profile.
- Type your password again.
- Select “Delete account.”
Where to find the Instagram deletion page?
Follow the instructions below to find the Instagram deletion page:
- Open “Settings” on your account.
- Select “Help” to take you to the Help Center.
- Go to “Manage your account.”
- Press “Delete your account.”
Remember that you can open Instagram Help Center through the website only.
What to Consider Before Deleting Your Account
We will explain everything you need to know before deleting your Instagram profile.
What is the difference between permanent deletion and deactivation of your profile?
If you have had enough of Instagram mania, you have two alternatives: to delete or deactivate your profile. However, the difference between them is big.
If you delete your account, all your content, including reels, photos, comments, mentions, likes, and followers, will be permanently deleted. That is why we recommend you download a backup copy if you want to access your data in the future.
On the other hand, deactivating your account just hides all your content, like photos and videos, followers, likes, and comments. If you disable your account, people cannot see your profile, but you can access your messages. If your profile is temporarily deactivated, you can easily pick up where you left off anytime by logging into Instagram.
All in all, suspending your Instagram account is easily reversible, while deleting it is permanent.
30 days policy to restore a deleted Instagram account
Although your profile is publicly unavailable, once you click the delete button, you have 30 days to change your mind and restore your account. You just have to log back in by using your username and password, and you will access your profile.
Instagram permanently removes all your data after 30 days of the deletion request. After that period, you will not be able to restore your account and content.
That is why it is recommendable to save your valuable information from Instagram before you close your account.
Backup and download Instagram data
The good news is that Instagram lets you download your data and content if you decide to permanently close your account.
Follow this step-by-step guide to download your data on the app or website.
For the app:
- Open your profile, and click the “Three lines” on the top right to open Your activity.
- Select “Download data” from the drop-down menu.
- Type your email address and press “Request download.”
For the website:
- Press “More” on the bottom left and choose “Settings.”
- Select “Privacy and security” from the drop-down menu.
- Press “Request download.”
- Enter your email and confirm.
Remember that after your request, it will take up to 14 days for Instagram to send you the download link.
Read more: How to Delete a Gmail Account
How to Delete or Disable Instagram Without Password or Username
If you want to delete your profile but you forgot your credentials, there are three options to recover your account:
Recover your password through Facebook
This option might work if you have linked your Instagram account with Facebook. Click on “Log in with Facebook” and select “Continue as your name.” This way, you can log into your Instagram and change your password.
Recover your password through your mobile number
Once you click “Forgot password,” enter your mobile number. Wait for Instagram to send you a login link on your email to be able to change your password. After that, you can delete your account.
Get in touch with the Instagram Support Center
You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and explain your situation. Instagram will send you a code; hopefully, you can recover your account. After recovering your profile, follow the deletion or deactivation instructions above.
Reasons to Stop Using Instagram
Although Instagram is one of the most dominant social media with more than a billion users around the globe, it is not the safest place to share our life experiences through photos, videos, or reels.
We have enlisted the most popular reasons why people decide to leave Instagram.
- Users face cyberbullying on a daily basis.
- People often decide to leave Instagram due to social media privacy concerns.
- Other users feel that they are wasting time scrolling through endless content.
- Many Instagrammers leave Instagram due to mental health concerns. Influencers share content about their luxury trips and expensive clothes daily, but for many, this is a source of depression and loneliness. People compare themselves to others, often forgetting that social media does not show reality.
- Many decide not to use Instagram anymore due to Instagram scams. Many swindlers steal money, sensitive data, and accounts.
How long can you deactivate your Instagram?
There is no time limitation on how long you can keep your account disabled. However, the minimum deactivation period is one week.
Why can’t you delete your Instagram account?
You cannot delete your profile through the mobile app. You have to log into Instagram from your computer or mobile browser.
You might be interested: How to Permanently Delete Computer Files
No matter why you decide to leave the Instagram community, there are pretty straightforward instructions on how to deactivate Instagram or delete an account.
We believe we have helped by providing enough information regarding what to consider before deleting your account permanently. Remember to back up and download your content before deleting the account.