Microsoft Outlook and Google Calendar are the most popular calendar apps for tracking events, opportunities, and timetables. Although you can use both simultaneously, things can get confusing when you have a busy schedule.
To avoid double bookings, overlapping appointments, and scheduling conflicts with multiple calendars, you can share your Outlook calendar with Google and view them on one calendar.
There are many ways to share your Microsoft Outlook calendars with your Google account from your phone or computer. Let’s begin.
How to Share Outlook Calendar With Google by Sending an Invitation
Although Outlook and Google Calendar are different apps, they both support iCal, allowing you to exchange scheduling information between the two through the ICS format.
As long as you have a valid ICS link, you can add your Outlook Calendar to your Google account.
How to Share a Calendar Invitation From Outlook
Note: This method only works on the Office 365 desktop app.
- Open the Microsoft Outlook desktop app and switch to the Calendar view.
- Right-click one of the calendars in the navigation panel and select Sharing Permissions from the pop-up menu. Alternatively, you can click the Share Calendar option from the Manage Calendars section in the Home tab.
- Head to the Permissions tab of the Calendar Properties dialog box and click Add.
- Type your Gmail address into the field beside the Add button and click OK.
- Set the permission level you want to allow and click OK to send the invitation link to your Gmail address.
How to Add the ICS Link to Google Calendars
- Open your Gmail account and check your inbox.
- Open the calendar sharing invitation, right-click “this URL” under Accept, and view the calendar button. Select the Copy link addressoption from the pop-up menu.
- Open your Google Calendar app and click the plus sign next to the Other calendars section.
- Select the From URL option from the menu.
- Paste the link you copied in the “URL of calendar” box and make sure it ends with the “.ics” extension. Click Add calendar to confirm your decision.
- Exit the Settings page and check your Outlook calendar under the Other calendars section.
After adding your Outlook calendar as a shared calendar on Google, the app will sync changes automatically as long as you don’t remove your subscription.
Usually, it takes from a few minutes to a day for the updates to appear in your Google Calendar. While most people are good with the slight delay in updates, you can check the other methods if you need faster syncing between your calendars.
How to Share Outlook Calendar With Google by Publishing It Online
If you’re working with multiple Gmail accounts, sharing an invitation link to each of your email addresses can take time.
With that in mind, you can publish your calendar online, get the ICS link, and add it to your Google account to view them on the Google Calendar app.
You can use the publish feature in the Outlook web app, Office 365, and Exchange accounts.
Here are the steps to publish a calendar from the Outlook web app:
- Sign in to your Outlook web account and click the Calendar icon.
- Click Settings (gear icon) on the upper-right and select “View all Outlook settings” at the bottom of the Settings pane.
- Go to the Calendar tab > Shared calendars and check the Publish calendar section.
- Choose the calendar you want to publish and select the level of access.
- Click the Publish button to generate an ICS and HTML link.
- Copy the ICS link that appears on the window.
After getting the Outlook link, you can add it to your Google calendars through the Other calendars section.
How to Add Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar by Exporting
If you’re looking for another way to share your calendar with Google, you can use the iCal format, which both apps support. You can export your Outlook calendar as an ICS file and import it to your Google Calendar.
Exporting saves a snapshot of your Outlook events, meaning your calendars won’t sync automatically. Changes you make with your calendar won’t appear on your Google account unless you import a new version.
How to Export Your Calendar From Outlook
- Head to the Calendar section on the Outlook app and click one of your calendars.
- Select the File option and click Save Calendar.
- Use the default name for the iCalendar file, or type the one you want to use on the file name box. Click More options to continue.
- Specify the date range to choose the data to include on your export. You can pick the exact date range or select from the available options. Exporting the whole calendar can take the app a while to generate the iCal file, especially if there’s a lot of data.
- After editing the file options, select OK and click Save.
Import Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar
- Open Google Calendar and sign in to your account.
- Click the gear icon at the top of the page and select Settings from the menu. Alternatively, you can click Add calendar (plus icon) on the right of the Other calendars section.
- Click “Import & export” on the left.
- Click the “Select file from your computer” option under the Import section and look for the ICS file you exported earlier.
- Pick the calendar where you want to add the imported items and select Import. By default, the app adds imported events to your Primary calendar.
- Exit the Settings page and check your updated Google calendar.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar With Gmail Calendar on Your Android Phone
You can use the free Microsoft Outlook app for Android and add your calendar from Google Gmail to view your events and schedules in one place.
After adding your Google account to Outlook, it syncs your email with the app allowing you to check your schedules and messages in one place.
You can add your Google account to Outlook after installing it for the first time or by adding your email addresses to the app. I’ll cover both methods in the tutorials below.
How to Install Outlook and Sync Your Google Calendar
- Open the Google Play Store on your phone and search for Microsoft Outlook.
- Tap the Install option.
- Once the installation finishes, open the app, and sign in to your account.
- Select the add Google account option on the Add Users window that appears on your screen and sign in to your account.
If you want to sync more calendars to your Outlook account, add your other Google accounts to the app.
How to Add Your Google Calendar Within the Outlook App
- Open Outlook on your phone and tap the icon on the top left.
- Click the Add calendar icon on the top left.
- Select “Add an account” from the context menu.
- Tap the Add Google Account button and choose the account with the calendar you want to sync.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the permissions window and tap “Allow.”
After adding your Gmail account to Outlook, you can head to the Calendar tab to view the synced calendars from your different accounts. You’ll see labels from your accounts for the events scheduled on each day of the month.
If you want to set a deadline, schedule, or meeting for your Google Calendar, there’s no need to switch to the app. You can create a new calendar event from Outlook with one of your Google accounts.
How to Sync Outlook Calendar With Google Calendar on iOS
If you’re mainly viewing your schedules and events from your iPhone or iPad, you can sync Outlook calendar and Google accounts with your phone’s built-in calendar app.
After adding your accounts, you can open the iOS calendar app to see all the events from your calendars in one place.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Browse the list and select “Calendar.”
- Select Accounts.
- Add your Google and Outlook accounts to your phone.
- Enable the Calendars toggle while managing your Google or Outlook account.
If you want to remove specific calendars from appearing in the app, manage the accounts on your phone Settings and toggle the Calendar option. On the other hand, you can remove one of the accounts from your phone.
Aside from the iOS calendar app, you can install and use Microsoft Outlook on your phone to view your schedules and events from your other calendars. After adding your accounts to Outlook, head to the Calendar tab to see the synced calendar.
How to Subscribe to Google Calendar With Outlook
If you prefer using your Outlook calendar over Google Calendar, you can subscribe to your calendar on the latter to keep things up-to-date.
Subscribing to your Google Calendar through Outlook connects both calendars, making it easier to track frequent changes in your schedule, meetings, and events.
By subscribing, you won’t need to import snapshots frequently to view your Google Calendar events on Outlook.
- Sign in to your Google Calendar account.
- Click “My calendars” on the left column to expand the section.
- Hover over the calendar you want to add to Outlook, select the three dots to the right, and click “Settings and sharing.”
- Locate the Secret address in the iCal format box under the Integrate Calendar section and select the “Copy to clipboard” option.
- Open your Outlook app, select the File option, and navigate to Account Settings > Account Settings.
- Head to the Internet Calendars tab and click New.
- Paste the URL you copied earlier and click Add.
- Choose a calendar name by typing it in the Folder Name field.
- Click Ok to confirm your decision.
Once you open Outlook, it will check your Google Calendar for any changes and updates its copy accordingly. If you keep the app running while having an active internet connection, it will check for any content updates periodically.
Calendar updates usually happen every three hours, but it can take the app more than a day to process and download all the changes.
Since you subscribed to your other calendar through your Outlook account, any changes you make on the app won’t sync with Google Calendar. You have to open the Google Calendar to make the changes manually.
How to Import Google Calendar to Outlook
Instead of subscribing to a calendar, you can use the import option to view your Google Calendar on your Outlook account. Unlike a subscription, importing won’t reflect changes on the imported calendar.
Resorting to importing your Google Calendar to Outlook is best when you have events, meetings, and schedules that won’t change in the future.
How to Export Your Google Calendar
- Open Google Calendar and sign in to your account.
- Click the gear icon on the top right to open your Settings.
- Head to the Import & export tab and select the Export button.
- After the download finishes, find the archived file on your device.
- Right-click the file and click “Extract All” from the menu.
Now that you have your Google Calendar files, it’s time to upload them to Outlook.
How to Import Google Calendar to Outlook
- Open the Outlook client on your computer and head to the Calendar section.
- Select File on the top left.
- Head to the Open & Export tab and click Import/Export.
- Choose “Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar file (.vcs)” from the window that appears and select Next.
- Head to the storage location of the extracted calendar file from earlier and choose the file that ends with “gmail.com.” Click OK to continue.
- Choose the Import option to add the Google Calendar events to your Outlook calendar.
Check your Outlook calendars for the additions of new events from your Google file.
If you made some changes to your Google Calendar that you’re viewing on Outlook, you need to import a new version to Outlook to update your calendar. So if you’re working with a calendar with frequent changes, it’s better to use the subscription method.
Although there’s no problem with working on two different calendar management apps, such as Google Calendar and Outlook, having shared calendars helps you organize your timetable while avoiding schedule conflicts and double-booking when creating events.
Since there are multiple ways to connect your events and schedules on Outlook and Calendar, you can choose one that best works for you.